As the popularity of online livestock auctions continues to build, their is still a world of opportunity to take advantage of all social media has to offer! By using Facebook to promote your event, you will also be building brand awareness, developing a communication channel, and adding to your e-mail list.
We have developed this list of 25 ways to promote your online cattle auction on Facebook. Use these tips to create a strategic social media plan to promote your next online auction!
These tips can also be helpful when you are consigning just a few animals to an online auction. You can personally help build hype and anticipation as the auction day draws near.
3 Months Prior To Sale Date
- SAVE THE DATE – Start to build anticipation. Repeat 2X per week using different photos from last year’s sale or sale banner graphics.
2 Months Prior To Sale Date
- LAST YEARS TOP LOTS – Include photos, price and tag the buyer. Repeat 2X per week – one lot at a time.
- #TRANSFORMATIONTUESDAY – Post sale photo from last year with recent photo of a show winner steer or heifer.
6 Weeks Prior To Sale Date
- BEHIND THE SCENCE – Share images of preparing the cattle, clipping, photographing, filming, etc. Keep it real. Unstaged and unedited!
- SALE BOOKS & FLYERS – Post images of marketing materials or mailers in the works.
- LINK TO AUCTION SITE – Post a link to your online auction site. Make sure the URL link goes directly to your auction page and not just to the auction company’s home page.
- HOW TO REGISTER & BID – Post directions on how to register and bid. Include a screenshot of registration page and direct link.
4 Weeks Prior To Sale Date
- MARKETING FLYER PDF’s – Share images or PDF’s of any sale flyers, mailers, or catalogs.
- EMAIL LIST SIGN-UP FORM – Be sure to add your social media followers to your e-mail list.
- POST SALE CATTLE PHOTOS & VIDEOS – Once your photos are ready, post them one at a time. Include animal name, birthdate, registration # and complete footnotes. Repeat 3X per day until you have posted every animal in the sale.
- SALE CATTLE BY SIRE GROUP – Post sale cattle photos but change it up and post multiple lots together, grouped by sire and highlight sire traits.
- SALE CATTLE BY LIKE KINDS – Post sale cattle photos in groups of Bred Heifers, Bulls, Steers, Show Heifer Prospects, Embryos, etc in groups.
2 Weeks Prior To Sale Date
- BEHIND THE SCENES – Post behind the scenes of preparations for cattle viewing.
- POST QUOTES – Post quotes from respected cattle evaluators who have inspected the sale cattle in person and are willing to share their comments.
- TESTIMONIALS – Post testimonials from previous customers
5 Days Prior To Sale Date
- WEATHER FORECAST – Post a weather forecast for cattle viewing dates.
- OPEN HOUSE FOOD – Post images of food you will serve at the cattle viewing open house.
- MERCHANDISE & BUYER GIFTS – Share photos of buyer gifts you are giving away to buyers like hats, gloves, sorting sticks, coffee mugs, etc.
- UPDATED BREEDING INFO – Post any animals being pulled from the sale as well as any breeding updates on bred females.
Day of Sale
- POST FINAL SALE UPDATES
- BIDDING OPEN POST!
- BIDDING CLOSES IN 4 HOURS – Post a “BIDDING CLOSES IN …”. Post at 4 hours, 2 hours, 1 hour, 30 minutes, 15 minutes, and 5 minutes prior to sale closing.
- BIDDING HAS CLOSED – Post a final “BIDDING HAS CLOSED” after sale concludes.
Days After Sale
- THANK YOU – Post thank you to each buyer and be sure to TAG them in the post! Always try to include a photo.
- NEXT YEAR’s SALE DATE
• Establish a sale #hashtag and use it in EVERY post
• Change your Facebook Cover Photo to promote the sale
• Be responsive to any questions or comments – usually within 12 hours. Turn on your notifications so you are aware of activity.
• Follow Back! You encourage engagement when you follow new users back
• Create Event Pages and Invite Users – Facebook, LinkedIn, Google+ all offer Event pages. If you are on Pinterest, create a separate board for the event.
• Business pages in Facebook can create and schedule posts days, weeks in advance. Write all your posts for the week in one sitting to save you time!
VanDenBerg Web + Creative helps businesses create a great first impression, clearly communicate their brand, and develop websites and web strategies to effectively reach customers.
We believe every business needs an effective, efficient website. Contact us today to book a free strategy call.